Monday, November 12, 2012

If you're goin' to San Francisco...

Be sure to wear flowers in your hair.

I went to San Francisco in August. I wore a flower in my hair. I got one comment/reference to the 1960s song. Score! I watched a movie this weekend (The Five-Year Engagement), which was pretty funny and cute, and it's set it San Fran, which made me reflect back to my little visit there. I was visiting my sister and her boyfriend who live in Sacramento, so we took a day trip to San Fran. Can I keep calling it that?

We started out at the popular tourist sites, though sadly I didn't get to ride one of those rail car things. The weather was beautiful and the city was vibrant, fun, and lovely. Unfortunately all of San Fran's charms became slowly lost on me as we trekked over 6 miles, from which I developed the worst blisters of my life. If my family was reading this, they would all chuckle and scold me, because I've been known to not have the best shoe choice when it comes to functionality. This wasn't the first time I wore uncomfortable shoes on a trip where we did a lot of walking, and I'm sure it won't be the last. I just didn't want to look like the typical tourist in tennis shoes with a camera and fanny pack. I like to pretend like I'm blending in!

We started our day's trip at Pier 39 and then set off toward the Golden Gate Bridge. My sister and her boyfriend are geocache fanatics. In case you don't know what that is, basically they like to think they are treasure hunters, when really you get on a website, pick a location, get GPS coordinates, and find a box with random trinkets and a notepad of all the people who have found it. Okay, it's pretty cool. The box, or whatever it is, usually only has random items like a pencil, piece of gum, coin, stamp, keychain, toy car, etc. Our geocache coordinates took us from Pier 39 all the way down to the yacht club and out to this ocean wave organ. The waves made sounds as you put your ear up to different pipes! Pretty cool, I must say, and it gave us awesome views of the bridge and the ocean.



The walk to our restaurant was absolutely awful. That's not just me being dramatic. My feet were already sore and blistered, and our restaurant was in Japantown...uphill. Have you seen San Fran's hills? Whoa...I would not want to drive a standard car in this town. I wish I could say I pulled it together and made it, but I didn't. I sat down on a sidewalk and told my sister I couldn't go any further. Sounds like an epic journey, right? We got a cab and it was all dandy :)

I want to go back to this city someday. It was fun and beautiful, and I love the architecture of the homes. Now go to listen to that Scott McKenzie song :)

No comments:

Post a Comment