Sunday, September 30, 2012

Album of the week? This is the album of the decade...

I am not someone who jumps on the bandwagon. I also don't like to be that person that says, "I liked those before those were popular," but I will say that I did read and enjoy all the Twilight books before that craziness, and I have loved Mumford & Sons long before they appeared on the radio with their last album. I have a wide variety of friends, and one of my more country conservative friends just recently told me he didn't listen to Mumford & Sons because they are too "hipster and mainstream." Why does indie music have to be associated with the style that has been labeled "hipster" just in our decade? I am a girl from southwest Kansas, I love some good ol' country music, and even though I have some liberal thoughts in my head, I guess if I had to "label" myself I would be conservative. I don't wear trendy hobo clothes or architect glasses and I don't ride a bike or vespa. I like coffee, but I'm not obsessed with taking pictures of it. I don't really care if food is organic or not, and whatever else stereotypes someone as a "hipster", I don't really qualify for. This band and this album is pure genius. These guys are poets, and they create beautiful music that leaves me awestruck. My personal opinion? Yes, but I just really think this band shouldn't fall into a category that would make others outside that circle feel as if it's not their style. Just listen to the lyrics people, those are for everyone because they write about the human experience. I love every song on this album and their last, but if I had to narrow it down to a favorite on this one I would say check out "Holland Road" and the album opener "Babel." Go listen and decide for yourself :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UDWCScrWeo


No comments:

Post a Comment